Yale University (2010-2016)
PhD in MechE
Masters in Meche
- Advisor: Aaron Dollar
- Thesis: Strategies for Dexterous Manipulation with Underactuated, Robotic Hands
S.B. in MechE, S.B. in EECS
- Advisor: Martin Culpepper, John Leonard
- Thesis: Torque Measurement with Inexpensive Compliant Mechanisms
Yale Grablab (2010-2016)
- Developed the Yale OpenHand Project, a library of open-source designs for underactuated robotic hands
- Analyzed dexterous manipulation capabilities of underactuated robotic hands
- Designed, fabricated, and evaluated novel mechanism designs for underactuated grasping and manipulation
MIT PCSL (2008-2010)
- Designed/instrumented low-cost device to measure the torque/power output of the human ankle joint
- Utilized compliant flexure designs to minimize cost
- Collaboration w/ Edward Sung, Alex Slocum Jr., and Dr. Jonathan Bean at Spaulding Rehabilitation Clinic
MIT Personal Robotics Lab (2006-2007)
- AUR - designed/fabricated robotic lamp under direction of Guy Hoffman, Prof. Cynthia Breazeal
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (2017-present)
- Robotics Mechanical Engineer in Section 347B (Robotics Vehicles and Manipulators)
Yale SOM eLab (2012-2014)
- Development of custom, interactive online surveys for marketting and social behaviors
- Collaborations w/ various on-campus research groups for custom user studies
Nextjump (Summer 2010)
- API for nginx image server to handle flexible app management
- Internal product/merchant search engine
JamLegend (Summer 2009)
- Online application to develop playable game tracks for JamLegend's game platform (Flex/Flash)
Kiva Systems (Summer 2008)
- Developed analysis scripts to parse drive unit and floor logs to optimize movement performance (Matlab)
- Automated control of battery-testing module (LabVIEW)
MIT Nuclear Reactor Lab (2007-2008)
- Motion control of student experimental module for nuclear physics courses (LabVIEW)
- Collaboration with iLabs to allow for remote online control
- Ma, R.R., and A.M. Dollar, "Yale OpenHand Project: Optimizing Open-Source Hand Designs for Ease of Fabrication and Adoption," IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, 24(1), pp. 32-40, 2017
- Ma, R.R., J.T. Belter, A.M. Dollar, "Hybrid Deposition Manufacturing: Design Strategies for Multi-Material Mechanisms via 3D-Printing and Material Deposition," ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 7(2), 021002, 2015
- Odhner, L.U., R.R. Ma, A.M. Dollar, "Exploring Dexterous Manipulation Workspaces with the iHY Hand," Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, 32(4), pp. 318-22, 2014
- Ma, R.R., and A.M. Dollar, "Linkage-Based Analysis and Optimization of an Underactuated Planar Manipulator for In-Hand Manipulation." Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 6(1), 011002, 2014
- Odhner, L.U., et al. "A Compliant, Underactuated Hand for Robust Manipulation." International Journal of Robotics Research, 2014 (in press).
- Odhner, L.U., R.R. Ma, and A.M. Dollar. "Open-Loop Precision Grasping With Underactuated Hands Inspired by a Human Manipulation Strategy." IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 10(3), 2013.
- Ma, R.R., et al. "Torque Measurement With Compliant Mechanisms." Journal of Mechanical Design 135 (2013): 034502.
- Bullock, I., R.R. Ma, and A.M. Dollar. "A Hand-Centric Classification of Human and Robot Dexterous Manipulation." IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 6(2), 2012.
- E. Sung, A. Slocum, Ma, R.R. et al. "Design of an ankle rehabilitation device using compliant mechanisms." J Med Devices 5 (2011): 1-7.
- Ma, R.R., W. Bircher, and A.M. Dollar. "Toward Robust, Whole-Hand Caging Manipulation with Underactuated Hands" Proceedings of the 2017 International Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) - Accepted, In Press
- Ma, R.R., and A.M. Dollar. "In-Hand Manipulation Primitives for a Minimal, Underactuated Gripper With Active Surfaces" Proceedings of the 2016 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC)
- Ma, R.R., N. Rojas, and A.M. Dollar. "Towards Predictable Precision Manipulation of Unknown Objects with Underactuated Fingers" Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conf. on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robotics
- Ma, R.R., A. Spiers, and A.M. Dollar. "M2 Gripper: Extending the Dexterity of a Simple, Underactuated Gripper" Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conf. on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robotics
- Ma, R.R. and A.M. Dollar. "An Underactuated Hand for Efficient Finger-Gaiting-Based Dexterous Manipulation" Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics
- Odhner, L.U. and R.R. Ma "Fabrication Techniques for Open-Source Robotic Hands" (Conference Tutorial) Proceedings of the 2013 International Conf. on Robotics and Automation.
- Ma, R.R., L.U. Odhner, and A.M. Dollar. "A Modular, Open-Source 3D Printed Underactuated Hand." Proceedings of the 2013 International Conf. on Robotics and Automation.
- Odhner, L.U., R.R. Ma, and A.M. Dollar. "Experiments in underactuated in-hand manipulation." Experimental Robotics. Springer International Publishing, 2013.
- Odhner, L.U., R.R. Ma, and A.M. Dollar. "Precision grasping and manipulation of small objects from flat surfaces using underactuated fingers." Proceedings of the 2012 International Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)
- Ma, R R., L.U. Odhner, and A.M. Dollar. "Dexterous manipulation with underactuated fingers: Flip-and-pinch task." (Video Submission) Proceedings of the 2012 International Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)
- Ma, R.R., and A.M. Dollar. "On dexterity and dexterous manipulation." Proceedings of the 2011 International Conf. on Advanced Robotics (ICAR)
- Ma, R.R., et al. "Ankle Rehabilitation via Compliant Mechanisms." Transactions of the ASME-W-Journal of Medical Devices 4.2 (2010): 027528.